Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Beeb

Did anybody else cry when they heard the BBC Czech service (scheduled to be axed in March) had found an investor?

Not that I begrudge the reporters their jobs, just that I had been looking forward to the "all English all the time" format I figured would have to kick in once the Czech service ended.

I thought I'd be able to hear English news when I really want to listen to news -- at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now I'm wondering if we'll lose the World Service altogether.

And everything had been shaping up so nicely -- they'd even canceled Westway.*

*Westway, for those who don't know it, was a soap opera set in a health clinic. It followed the trials and tribulations of patients and doctors alike and was about as entertaining as having a boil lanced.

2 comments:

Tokyo Sexwale said...

mary, in response to your desire for an 'all english, all the time' format, let me remind you of the content you would have to look forward to:

blackmoor prancers one, dickletown nil

middlesex half-queens one, dental dams nil

maire said...

i thought you were going to say 'you can always go back where you came from.'

that's the response i usually get when i complain about anything czech.

and speaking of 'queen' did you notice the 'queen on ice' show that's coming? i thought freddy mercury was the only one of them on ice.