Friday, December 16, 2005

Later...

I've agreed to celebrate my last day at work by going for drinks, but I'm questioning the wisdom of that, given that I've decided to spend my last day drinking.

(I opted for the chicken biryani after all. The Himalaya guy recommended a dry white Riesling or four fingers of Jack in a cup of Earl Grey tea. Funny, that.)

Which reminds me, the restaurant formerly known as Vas-y, Vas-y (then just Vas-y) has become a wine bar called Bokovka (i.e. the Czech title of the film "Sideways").

How many times will the phrase "I'm not drinking the fucking Merlot" be heard within those walls?

(Well, at least once, because I leaned in and yelled it on my way by.)

5 comments:

Tokyo Sexwale said...

movie-themed bars are ALWAYS short-lived, but anything's an improvement on a vasectomy-themed bar.

maire said...

it's true about movie-themed bars, a lesson i learned the hard way when my own movie-themed bar "stalag 17" closed its barbed-wire topped doors after only two weeks.

Tokyo Sexwale said...

some other notable movie-themed bar failures:

the 'shoah' bar in podoli
the 'i am sam' bar in zizkov
the 'alive' bar, also in zizkov

maire said...

i could have told them that whole "alive" thing wasn't going to fly.

i mean, eating human flesh because your plane crashed in the andes is one thing, serving it as "something nice with beer" is a completely different story.

Tokyo Sexwale said...

the 'i am sam' bar involved patrons being paired off with retarded adults, for a short spell of tutoring.

the 'shoah' bar tried to attract punters with mandatory 7-hour sessions in mock gas chambers.

but neither of these were nearly as bad as the 'three men and a baby' bar. just the chance of seeing ted danson, tom selleck or steve gutenberg was enough to limit the guest numbers to a handful.