Friday, December 16, 2005

Last daze

Remember several days ago when I reported that our bureau chief was "walking?" Well, I got that wrong. Maybe I'm not so good at this reporting stuff after all! (I was wrong about the weapons of mass destruction in the communal kitchen too. Turns out I do not know yellow cake when I see it.)

Rather than walking, the bureau chief has signed a new contract. Moreover, it's a contract giving the bureau chief far better terms than those granted to Stepan and me -- our contracts, I may have mentioned, came with matching leg irons. The bureau chief also gets a raise.

And what do I get? I get to finish off all the office liquor! (I decided this myself.) I'm going to start with the wine from last Christmas (a gift from the friendly staff in our serviced building), then move on to an unidentified Russian liqueur (a Christmas 2001 gift from our visiting Russian IT director), then, time permitting, I'll polish off the bottle of Czechvar somebody got at a press conference several years back.

I'm going to play a drinking game -- every time one of the Warsaw editors (who are all native English speakers, by the way) makes a spelling mistake, or a typing error, or a grammatical error, or uses three question marks where one would do, or writes in all caps, I'll take a drink.

This should have me sloshed in about 45 minutes.

Let the games begin!

No comments: