Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Hair (not the musical)

I have a good friend who always celebrates the completion of any kind of undertaking (term paper, election campaign, half marathon, bloodless coup) with a "victory haircut."

I've always liked the idea, and this week I also saw the point. Having been working incredibly hard lately, I've neglected many aspects of my personal and home life. So, last night, having finally (I think, fingers crossed, please God make it stop) finished this particular assignment, I made an appointment to get my hair cut.

I went to a professional salon (as opposed to one of those back-alley butchers) and got what I think is a good cut, although I won't know for sure until I wash and dry it myself. My hairdresser got my number very quickly, though, because the phrase he used three times in describing the cut he'd give me was "something you can manage."

He then blew it dry straight, which is an interesting effect (I once had someone ask me after a salon cut if that was my "real hair?") but one I can never achieve by myself. I once asked a friend why this was and she said, "Because you can't stand behind yourself with a blowdryer."

And now if you'll excuse me, it's time for the victory house-cleaning.

2 comments:

Tokyo Sexwale said...

as a long-time fan, i am also looking forward to seeing the new mary. when she expressed disappointment at not being able to "stand behind [her]self with a blow dryer", i immediately thought about how we, her friends, could help mary to grow some sort of extra appendage, like an octopus, only less inky. i didn't come up with anything, so maybe stepan's idea will have to do. for now, anyway. i'm not giving up.

maire said...

i have now twice attempted to style the new "do" myself and, as i suspected, the final result bears no resemblance to the salon version. (my first attempt reminded me of the hedgehog haircut popularized in the mid-'90s by slobodan milosevic.)