Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Mornings at seven



A friend requested a photo to illustrate some aspect of my typical morning, so I think I'll send him this one of me having breakfast.

Most of the submissions he's received (he's asked for photos from a bunch of people all over the globe) feature single flowers in delicate crystal vases on breakfast trays or freeway shots from California commuters, so this one may come as something of a shock to him, but it's been a hard winter and I find I just can't start the day without a smoke and a few shots of vodka.

I have to step outside for it because my friend Sergei (pictured left) refuses to leave his vegetable cart unattended. He says there are too many Vietnamese in my neighborhood and that they're taking over the place. I say, "I don't think it was the Vietnamese driving those tanks in '68 Sergei," and that shuts him up pretty quick. He's not a bad guy, just a little defensive on the question of his country's Satanic plot to rule the world.

2 comments:

Vince Campbell - Never Forgotten said...

Mary, I would suggest you add a little bran to your breakfast diet. Otherwise it is a lovely way to start your day. Your friend Sergi looks like he is going for his gun, unless he weilds his wallet like a weapon. Maybe he just hasn't had breakfast yet.

May I suggest a bannana daquari somewhere in your day to keep up the intake of the fruits?

What does yon vodka merchant have in his right hand? I believe he is not a nice man.

maire said...

katie, your suggestion has been well taken and i'm sucking on a daquiri even as i type.

sergei and i have had a falling out over the relative merits of brad pitt and matt dillon. he did reach for his gun, but fortunately, he'd pawned it for stolichnaya and i was able to escape.

you seem to be hanging around with russians these days too, judging by the photo :)