Thursday, April 13, 2006

Shuffling toward Bethlehem

The latest trend in all the hip publications (Time, Newsweek, The Watchtower) is to have someone (preferably a celebrity) put their iPod on shuffle then comment on the first five or so songs that come up. iPods, in case you haven't heard, hold literally DOZENS of songs, it's like having a jukebox in your pocket, only not so heavy, and you don't need coins.

I was all set to do this when I remembered I don't own an iPod. So then I thought I could do it with a friend's MP3 player, but I realized I don't really know anything about the songs he listens to (except that they all seem to be sung by incredibly sensitive men from Montreal. I lived in Montreal for two years and never met any incredibly sensitive men, unless you include the ones who wept in their poutine when the Canadiens lost).

THEN I hit on the idea of putting three CD's in my stereo and hitting "shuffle," until I remembered there ARE three CD's in my stereo and they've been there ever since it died sometime before Christmas and hitting "shuffle" probably isn't going to bring it back to life.

Which brought me to my final option (presses play):

Song 1: Cry! Cry! Cry!

Oh! This is the first track on "The Legend of Johnny Cash" CD my sister gave me for Christmas! I always listen to this song first when I play this CD.

Song 2:Hey Porter

This is the second song on "The Legend of Johnny Cash" CD my sister gave me for Christmas. I usually listen to it right after "Cry! Cry! Cry!" I don't know why, it just always seems to happen that way.

Song 3: Folsom Prison Blues

I think this is the third song on that Johnny Cash CD my sister gave me for Christmas, although I also have this song on an old Johnny Cash CD I bought myself, but I didn't just change the CD so I guess this is on the one I got from my sister. It's great.

No comments: