Monday, November 21, 2005

Best Behavior (a section in which the author weighs in on modern mores)

The question today is: Should you google your friends?

(That's not a euphemism for "screw," by the way. If I meant "screw," I'd say it -- this is my house, after all.)

No, it's a reference to the web search utility Google, and if that still means nothing to you, then I'm really sorry to have dragged you away from your illuminated manuscripts and please, by all means, get back to them.

Admittedly, everything on the web is in the public domain, so it's not like you're looking through your friend's medical records, or bank statements, or correspondence with his/her parole officer. (At least, I haven't been able to locate any of these things, and not for lack of trying.)

I've been giving this matter some serious consideration ever since I started writing this post (we're talking almost six full minutes now, because I've accidentally posted it twice and had to delete it) and my conclusion is this: I don't care if you google your friends, just don't google ME.

3 comments:

Tokyo Sexwale said...

i'd like to know how we're supposed to sift through the million and one documents related to the virtually uncountable rasinovo nabrezis in scotland, canada, and everywhere else, in order to find the dirt on OUR rasinovo nabrezi.

and your original post is highly suspicious. i'm not sure what you're getting at.

maire said...

i thought i'd illustrate my point by googling you and posting the revealing results but all i could find was an article on beer and a note taking radio prague to task for (apparently) confusing afghanistan and iraq.

that's no fun.

Tokyo Sexwale said...

a google search of tokyo sexwale shows many articles on my fight for freedom and imprisonment in south africa, my business dealings and efforts at black empowerment, and an anonymously penned account of my deflowering of 120 japanese virgins in a tokyo nightclub in 1997. man, what a night. sexy.