Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Movement of the People

I'd just finished my dark chocolate espresso truffle square and was considering the possibility of doing some work when all hell broke loose.

As the culmination of a series of events far too complicated for any of you to trouble your pretty little heads about, our bureau chief was fired today.

This was supposed to be a formality -- fired from the old company so she could then be hired by the successor company. The lawyer who is the legal rep of the old company came to deliver the news.

She's not going to sign her new contract, however, which basically holds her legally and financially responsible for everything short of extending the metro to the airport.*

This means she's walking. Maybe tomorrow.

I have 13 days left myself.

Stepan could give notice at any moment.

As all this was dawning on me, the lawyer's phone went off. His ring tone? Bob Marley's "Exodus."

I amost pissed myself.

*Stepan and I have actually signed similar contracts. They came with shovels.

1 comment:

maire said...

don't think this hasn't occurred to me. he still has his office key. unfortunately for him, it's for the old office. if he uses it, he'll either find himself in jail, or employed by the italian firm charged with refurbishing the main train station.