Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Opportunity is now leaning on the buzzer

People always talk about email spam like it's a bad thing but I'm here to tell you it can bring the occasional bonanza.

Take the email I've just received. It's from one Alexei Boris and he's the personal secretary of the recently-jailed Russian oligarch Mikhail Khodorkovsky.

They need a "reputable and capable individual" to help them extract $1.5 mln in frozen funds for Mr. Khodorkovsky. That individual will then receive an 8 % cut for his/her efforts.

That individual, as I'm sure you've guessed by now, is ME.

Why? I suspect they've heard of my recent success in recovering an outstanding debt of 50 kc from a Prague associate. I accepted payment in beer. I'm not sure if this would work in the Khodorkovsky case, although $1.5 mln worth of beer would probably make him the most popular guy in the gulag.

And 8 % of $1.5 mln worth of beer would certainly get me through the winter.

2 comments:

Tokyo Sexwale said...

'And 8 % of $1.5 mln worth of beer would certainly get me through the winter.'

by my calculations ($1,500,000 x .08), and assuming 25 crowns per USD and the average beer at 25 crowns, that's only 120,000 beers for the entire winter. don't do it, mary - no one deserves to endure such privation during the prague winter.

maire said...

my god -- 120,000 beers would barely see me through the week!

thanks for doing the math, tokyo.