Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A room of one's own

My co-worker (whom I will call "Stepan") says he peeked into our old office and it looks really nice. We had to move across the hall as part of cost-cutting measures here at the People's News Agency. We actually traded offices with a lady whose job (if I understand it correctly) is remodeling Hlavni Nadrezi. She needed more space. I can imagine remodeling a train station would require quite a lot of space.

She seems like a nice lady, although Stepan says she looks a little lost, all by herself in a space once occupied by four people.

Meanwhile, we're settling into our new office as best we can. I'm sitting in the corner by the window and in order to get out, I have to ask one of my co-workers to move. It's kind of like being at the movies, only without popcorn.

We're down to three employees, we've signed up for a cheaper internet connection, and next on the block are our bills for bottled water and newspapers. I imagine we'll soon be drinking from the tap and getting up early each morning to ride the trams and read over people's shoulders.

In short, the writing on the wall is clear -- really clear, actually. I wrote it myself in green magic marker

It says "BITE ME."

1 comment:

maire said...

first of all, now that we're all sharing a single green magic marker, i'm also wielding it much less regularly. and secondly, this is not a bucket of popcorn, this is a bucket of tap water. never say i didn't do my bit to cut costs.