Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Canadian Politics: Ad Nauseum

Okay, now things are getting serious. I must shake off the Valley Girl persona for a moment and explain that Ken Dryden was not "that old weirdo with a beard the Israelis killed with a missile last year." (See: comments section of last post).

Ken Dryden played for the greatest hockey team ever on the face of the earth -- the Montreal Canadiens -- from 1970 to 1979, during which time the team won SIX Stanley Cups. He won the Vezina in 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1979.

Ken Dryden had a goals against average UNPARALLELED for a rookie NHL goalie.

He later ran for parliament as a Liberal, won, and was named Minister of Social Development (okay, I don't know what it means either, but they probably couldn't have a "Minister of Goals Against Average"). He won again during the most recent elections and will continue to serve as the MP for York-Center in Ontario.

The picture at left shows Ken Dryden in his classic "standing with my chin resting on my stick pose." I'm sure you can all see why he is considered one of the greatest goalies of all time -- how you could stand with your chin resting on your stick and still stop pucks is beyond me, but he did it.

And I bet he could stop missiles too, if he had to, but he doesn't, for reasons I believe I have outlined sufficiently above. Posted by Picasa

No comments: