Monday, February 20, 2006

The Olympics on Monday or It's All Downhill From Here

I watched some women's downhill skiing while at a restaurant today (I'd intended to read the Economist but couldn't concentrate on Haiti's electoral woes with all that WINTER happening on the big screen.)

I found myself rooting for a cute little Canadian chick who held the lead for the longest time only to be knocked clean out of the medals at the end by two Austrians and a Croatian. The gold medal went to Austria's Michaela Dorfmeister.

Having since checked the official Torino Winter Olympics site for commentary on the race, I understand the Dorfmeister victory. Sort of:

"Like an great soprano, Michaela Dorfmeister has given an encore. The notes delighting the 'Fraiteve Olympique' track are still sung by the relentless Austrian, six days after the triumph in the downhill also dominating the super-G. This double win is a first in the ladies’. 'Miki' went after it with meanness, tackling every single gate with a hyena’s eyes, wanting a last taste of glory before the adieu to competition. She waved to everyone with the gold around her neck, perhaps worth even more than last Wednesday’s..."



I read some other postings about today's events and they're not written like this, they're dry, AP-style dispatches. This one reads like Dorfmeister's brother, the struggling poet, (who is secretly jealous of his sister's success, it's the only way I can explain the "hyena" reference)hacked the site and posted his own rough translation of his "Ode to Miki."

I really hope she wins something else. I'm not sure how he could top this.

No comments: